Friday, July 3, 2009

Rainy days in Bocas always get me down.

it never got better than this.

“Just when I thought I was out they pull me back in” that was the way I felt at the moment. I thought I’d cleared up the stomach bug after the visit to the hospital in Cahuita. But I was still suffering. And for those of you keeping count, it had been over a week – otherwise known a really long freaking time to be throwing up. I did a little investigation and found out that the antibiotics I was taking had the same side effects as the stomach virus. I also discovered that I had been given two rounds. So I stopped taking them once I finished the first round and crossed my fingers that the grossness would stop.

The good thing was that the lack of appetite was keeping our food budget way, way down. The bad thing is that it meant I couldn’t meet up with the friend of the friend who’d given us so many amazing tips about Bocas. It also meant we couldn’t enjoy most of the things she suggested we do. But even if I had been 100%, the weather was in on the conspiracy. It was absolute crap. Since we got off the boat three days ago it had been pouring constantly. Not the best thing when you’re in a beach town/Caribbean island. Grr.

All this icky stuff really hadn’t done much to improve my opinion about Bocas. And since the other islands were beach islands too there was no point in moving. But rather than dwell on the lemons, we decided to make lemonade. Since the weather was wet, we’d go scuba diving.

We headed out to the dive centre we’d visited previously and signed up to go out the next afternoon. Since it was my first time going out after certification so I was nervous. An email from the friend of the friend didn’t help. She let me know that the swell was coming in tomorrow morning. I had no idea what that meant but she explained that that was the reason for the crappy weather and meant that the sea was going to be quite rough tomorrow. Gulp.

No comments: