Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Lazy days ahead, music in my head

January 29, 2008 - Playas del Este
What to do with our last day? Do we head back into Havana? Or does the beach win? The decision was made; it was time for our trip to come full circle. We'd started off on the beach, reading, swimming and hanging out and that's how we ended the trip. 

We stocked up on beer and treats from the local store and camped out on the beach for the whole day kept company but a bunch of birds. As our bus pick up time approached we headed back in to change by the hotel pool. The pool wasn't as creepy looking down below as it was up above but with only 3 people enjoying it, we weren't the only ones scared by it. 

We got on the and headed to Varadero as the sun set. The airport was even worse than I remembered - a grotty place full of people I hate. Girls with corn rows and sun burnt scalps, guys wearing their sunglasses at night. At the check in counter a guy was yelling at the staff who were trying to charge him for his grossly overweight luggage. He accused them of trying to pocket the money for themselves and said if they wanted his money they should just ask for it. He screamed that flies all the time and knows that internationally he can have 75 kilos worth of luggage. Oh yeah, dipsh*t? If you fly so much you should also know that charters have a lower limit because lower weight allowances = lower fuel = cheaper costs. I just wanted to throttle the prick. But I also wanted to sit down. About  this time I realize i probably had too much sun - I was burning and cold at the same time and feeling nauseous. 

The hell that was the airport didn't get better once we passed security. A flight to Regina was delayed and a large portion of its passengers were getting loaded in the restaurant, playing country and western music on a boom box. Passengers was piled up on top of each other in a boarding area that had plenty of gates but few seats. 

Thankfully, the plane was early and we were soon sitting in our seats - next to the female companion of the dipsh*t at check in. Luckily he was seated far from her, and she was far quieter than him.  Wow I sound cranky don't I. Perhaps this is because our trip was coming to an end. Boo!!! Or perhaps it is because by the time we got home it was 2:30am. I logged into my email, and discovered I had to be at work for a 10am meeting. So without a moment to reflect and relive our trip, I was thrown back into work as if the trip never happened. Rather than curing my travel addiction, it made it worse and I look forward to the day when I don't have to think about work again. Yay!!!

No comments: